Thursday, February 17, 2005

Kya karein kya na karein!!!

A lot of people need caffeine at the start of the day to fill them up with the energy required for all the work they plan to do during the course of that day. I don't. Not that I do a lot of work that requires a lot of energy. Still, I am sure there are times when I am the most energetic person in the office when I enter it in the morning. (That might be because my morning starts after noon when all others are already exhausted.. but let's not go there.. ). Reason? Rahman.. :)

There is nothing more refreshing than the 3-4 minute drive from my home to my school parking lot with some ARR song playing LOUDLY inside the car. And today it was "Kya karein kya na karein" from Rangeela. I can't tell you how happy that little drive made me!! :) There are times when you forget a lot of things about the great songs that you used to hear regularly 4-5 years ago (and in this case almost 10 years). You still know that they were great. You still remember them once in a while and maybe enjoy singing them aloud. But you forget a little note here, a sweet bell-sound there. And it is all these things which come rushing to you when you put that music on after so many days. One tends to remember the vocal stanzas much better than the instrumental interludes. And in Rahman's case (specially Rahman of early-mid 90s) its the interludes that carry that incredible magic.

Put your best headphones on and play "Kya karein kya na karein" and play the intro (upto 01:03) , the interludes (01:37-02-22 and 03:16-04:10) and the conclusion (from 05:01), specially the two interludes, and turn the volume high. You'll know what I mean.

Consider that this is not even one of his most famous songs or his best instrumental arrangement in interludes and you'll realize exactly WHY he single-handedly elevated the standard of indian popular music in 90s. When you listen to a particularly inspired piece by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy/Anu Malik/Harris Jeyraj and others, remember who provided the inspiration in the first place. :)

No comments: