Monday, January 24, 2005

Nominating the Nominations...

Ok people, the oscar nominations are here. And here are my choices and predictions. Remember, my choices are constrained by the movies that I have seen. The predictions are based on both my own impressions of the movies/performances and my understanding of Academy voters' biases.

Best Picture: Predictions
The Aviator
Million Dollar Baby
Sideways
Finding Neverland
Kinsey
Best Picture: My Choices
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Kill Bill-2
Finding Neverland
The Aviator
Before Sunset

Best Director: Predictions
Martin Scorsese (Aviator)
Clint Eastwood (Million Dollar Baby)
Alexandar Payne (Sideways)
Zhang Yimou (Hero, House of Flying Daggers)
Mike Nichols (Closer)
Best Director: My Choices
Martin Scorsese
Zhang Yimou
Marc Forster (Finding Neverland)
Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine)
Quentin Tarantino (Kill Bill-2)

Best Actor in Leading Role- Male: Predictions
Leonardo DiCaprio (Aviator)
Johnny Depp (Finding Neverland)
Jamie Foxx (Ray)
Javier Bardem (The Sea Inside)
Paul Giamatti (Sideways)
Best Actor in Leading Role - Male: My Choices
Leonardo DiCaprio
Johnny Depp
Liam Neeson (Kinsey)
Paul Giamatti
Jamie Foxx (Collateral)

Best Actor in Leading Role - Female: Predictions
Hilary Swank (Million Dollar Baby)
Imelda Staunton (Vera Drake)
Annette Bening (Being Julia)
any two among Zhang Ziyi, Nicole Kidman, Kate Winslet and Uma Thurman
Best Actor in Leading Role - Female: My Choices
Zhang Ziyi (House of Flying Daggers)
Kate Winslet (Eternal Sunshine)
Catalina Sandino Moreno (Maria Full of Grace)
Uma Thurman (Kill Bill-2)
Emma Watson (Harry Potter) (I know I know... but what the heck! its my list! I can indulge myself here!! :) )
And now that the list has turned into "I-have-a-crush-on-these-actresses" list, why leave Natalie out.. :) so...
Natalie Portman(Garden State)

So.. there you go... I must say that I haven't seen Million Dollar Baby, Closer, Ray, Vera Drake, Being Julia and The Sea Inside yet. I guess the two lists could've been more similar otherwise.

No comments: