Monday, November 21, 2005

chicken tikka and julaabjaamun.

Women's cricket tours rarely get any spotlight at all, so I won't be surprised if some of you aren't even aware that the ladies from England are currently on a test tour of India. Charlotte Edwards is writing a tour diary for cricinfo. Her entry for November 14 has an unintentionally hilarious line. Describing their arrival at Delhi ariport, she says,
We were met at Delhi airport by girls with flower garlands which they put round our necks, and put dots made of chicken tikka paste on our foreheads.

:)

Clearly someone told her that they want to put "teeka" on her forehead and coming from England, she probably had enough knowledge of desi cuisine to think that they are probably talking about the same dish that she loves so much. :)

Something similar happened when our lab went for a lab-lunch to a desi restaurant last month and one of the lab members said "I'll just go and get some julaab-jaamun". It was hilarious but I really didn't have the heart to tell him about the correct pronunciation and about what exactly "julaab-jaamun" might mean to anyone knowing hindi. :) I suppressed my giggle and just said "oh sure, I haven't tasted them but I am sure they must be good" :P

Will tell him whenever we go for lunch next... :)

No comments: