Sunday, December 12, 2004

Newsweek's top (and bottom) 10

Newsweek has come up with its lists of 10 best and worst movies of 2004. And it made me realize that I still have to see a lot of good movies that came out this year. That has been mainly because most of them have released during last month or so and haven't reached Rochester yet. Out of the "10 best" list I have seen just 3 (Sideways, The Manchurian Candidate, and Prisoner of Azkaban) and even though all of them were good movies, I wouldn't have put them above some other movies that I saw this year. Sideways probably would have made my list but not TMC and PoA (assuming, of course, that the other seven that I haven't seen yet really DO deserve to be in the list). Kill Bill-2 would definitely have made it above these two. So would Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. And maybe even The Incredibles (ok... probably not above PoA but definitely above TMC. that might just be because I have seen the original of TMC and the new version suffers in comparison). And then there was The Motorcycle Diaries, that superb spanish movie.

As for the movies I haven't seen, all of them have been on my "must watch" list for some time. The only reason I haven't seen Before Sunset (#2 on newsweek list) yet is because I havent been able to find its prequel - Before Sunrise - and I dont want to see the sequel before the prequel. Million Dollar Baby, Kinsey, and Bad Education will open at Rochester in a couple of weeks. And The Aviator is obviously going to open nationwide next weekend. So I should be done with them within another month. :) This is also true for A Very Long Engagement which finds itself on the "worst 10" list of newsweek. Maybe it IS that bad but I'd still watch it if only because of the wonderful cinematography and Audrey Tautou.

No comments: