Thursday, January 15, 2009

My Current Playlist

The current playlist is actually just Delhi-6 songs! :) But once I have listened to its songs 10-15 times, it will be appended to the playlist that I had been listening to before Delhi-6 released. So, some brief comments of all these albums/songs.

Delhi-6: I've only listened to the songs 2 times as of now. But the first impression is quite good. Unlike Yuvvraaj where my first reaction was: "hmm.. this is quite disappointing.. not worthy of rahman". That impression about Yuvvraaj changed finally and even though it is not nearly his best work last year, I found it nice overall.. or at least not disappointing. Delhi-6 sounds really good even right now. "Masakkali", "Delhi-6", "Dil Gira Dafatan", "Arziyaan", and "Rehna Tu" are already sounding quite good and none of the others seem "disappointing" in the manner that "Shano Shano" did. So, they'll probably grow pretty soon too! Overall, quite a good start to the year for ARR's fans!

Chandni Chowk To China: Heard the full album, but only the two S-E-L songs ended up being in the playlist. The title song is good fun to listen to once in a while, but the other song - Tere Naina - is amazing. SMH told me that it reminded her of "Theekuruvil" from "Kangalal Kaithu Sai", and I agree. It is probably the style of female singer which reminds one of Theekuruvil, and I absolutely LOVE that song. Shreya Ghoshal is the singer here and she does her usual good job. Really good song!

Ghajini: "Guzaarish" is good, but I've never found it all that great. I don't know what is it. Maybe I find the "tune" not all that great. "Behka" is great, I loved it from the first time I heard it. Then there are the two "item songs"- Lattoo and Aye Bachchoo. Both of them have some nice hummable parts but are passable really. Watching them on screen made me like them more (thats why they are back in the playlist now). The best song, edging Behka by a small margin, is "Kaise Mujhe Tum" and its instrumental version. It took me a long time to grow out of Benny Dayal's strained vocals in this song, but watching the movie in the theatre surely helped! Needless to say, Shreya Ghoshal's part of the song is on a different level altogether. Great song!

Luck By Chance: Pretty good album by the increasingly reliable Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy. While "Yeh Zindagi Bhi", "Yeh Aaj Kya Ho Gaya" and "O Rahi Re" are top notch, even the other three are pretty listenable. Except, probably "Pyaar Ki Daastaan". It is a slow, melodious kind of song, but seems very very unoriginal to me. As in, it probably reminds me of a lot of SEL songs that sound too much like this one. The lyrics are consistently great throughout the album. Definitely a great start to the year by SEL. 

Aamir: A highly underrated album. I guess some people would definitely have heard "Ha Raham" which is great, but really the whole album is amazing. I don't think there is any point in pointing to different tracks here, this is quite a good album overall. Listen to it! I have just one problem. "Haara" sounds too much like the theme music of "Requiem for a Dream" to me. The song itself is pretty good and very different from that theme but the instrumental going on in the background seems almost exactly like that. At least it feels that way. :( In any case, the rest of the album is great. Amit Trivedi is another great addition to the list of composers doing a great job in hindi movie music, specially because he followed this up with...

Dev D: ok... this is one of the most eclectic albums you will ever have heard. Delhi-6 is quite eclectic too, but not even close to what Dev D is. Amit Trivedi and Anurag Kashyap have gone bonkers here. I am sure you'd have concluded that much after hearing "Emosanal Attyachaar" in trailers, but the whole album is weird, in a very good way.. The side effect of having so many genres is that everyone will find probably some songs that he/she won't like, which in my case means that I don't think Dev D is as good as Aamir, but it might grow later on. Of the top of my head I can think of "Paayaliya", "Nayan Tarse", "Duniya", "Saali Khushi" etc that I quite like. But I am sure there are some others that are definitely good. 

Slumdog Millionaire: Its a pity that all anyone gets to listen of this album is "Jai Ho". It is good but not nearly as good as some of the rest of the soundtrack is. So, if you have heard Jai Ho and think that the reason ARR is winning all these awards is just because people here in the US haven't heard 'indian' music before ina major movie, you'd be wrong. There are tracks in this album that are REALLY fun to listen to in your car, and mesh quite well in the movie too. Listen to "O Sayya", "Latika's Theme", "Paper Planes" and "Mausam & Escape" at least. 

I guess the number of songs and albums I have written about is probably a bit too much recommendation for one post! Still, if you have heard some of these albums and most of these songs, you'll know if your taste matches mine. In that case, go and find the ones that you haven't heard. I am sure a lot of people haven't heard Aamir, so if this post ends up popularizing at least  that one album by a little, it will make me very happy! :)

Update: Delhi-6 is now sounding REALLY good. One of ARR's better albums over last 4-5 years at least. and that is saying a LOT, right? Or maybe this will turn out the be just the euphoria phase that follows the initial apprehension. we'll see!

No comments: