Monday, May 31, 2004

and the movies...

As I said in a previous post, the book didn't stop me from watching some movies during this period. So, I saw "Amores Perros", "Jhankar Beats", "Lola Rennt", "Manhattan", "Life of Brian", "Toy Story", "Toy Story 2", "Hercules", "The Bicycle Thief" and "The man who knew too much". Out of these "Amores Perros", "Lola Rennt" and the two Toy Stories were very good. "Manhattan" was good too, though it was too much like "Annie Hall" without being quite as good. "Life of Brian" was like "Holy Grail", and just like Holy Grail I didnt quite like it. It was hilarious in parts but avoidable overall. I don't think I am one of "monty python" types.. Though probably holy grail is worth a re-watch. Not Life of Brian. "The Bicycle Thief" is a famous italian movie but I didnt find it quite as good as I expected. It was a good story but the movie was probably a bit too old to have anything that would've impressed me a lot. I guess its difficult to REALLY like REALLY old movies. I had similar problems with "8 and half". Of the old black and white movies (as against newer ones like "Schindler's List" and "Raging Bull") I liked "Dr. Strangelove" and "Paths of Glory" and didn't mind "Rebecca" either.

No comments: